life or something like it

Life or Something like it

Monday, September 19, 2011

Blessing in Disguise?

I sure thought my next post I'd have my little one in my arms by now and gushing on how great he is, but alas still NO BABY!
I am going on 8 days overdue- geezers- feels like forever not to mention the fact that I feel like I’m going to burst out of my tummy.
Here is my story of my uneventful night.
I was scheduled to be induced Sunday night at 7pm via Foley Bulb. So I stayed home from church and rested and slept for most of the morning/afternoon (advised by my Doctor). He said I would need all the energy I could get and needed to be rested upon the chance of going into labour. I then made lunch for Matt and tidy up the house. I then showered and curled my hair- ridiculous I know, but at this stage I needed to do something to make me feel pretty :) Didn’t really work but that’s ok. Matt then gave me a blessing and we sat on the rocking chair for a bit while he played some of the baby's favourite classical music.
We then entered the hospital full of hope and anticipation. Quickly we were let down when they informed us that there are 11 women waiting to be induced and they are backed up from last Thursday. WHAT!!??
These women were waiting for the Pitocin inducement not the foley bulb which is all natural. So I was good to go. They put us in a room, monitored the babes heart rate which was perfect. They then sent us into a room where hell began. Yes I can be a little bit of a drama queen from time to time but I am not exaggerating at all to say the least when I say it was pure torture when inserting the balloon. They had to clamp me and the doc(resident student grrr) was having a very difficult time. They needed a smaller clamp and couldn’t find one on the whole floor, so the medium was attempted again for the third time. She tore me pretty bad where there was excessive amount of blood pouring out. That wasn’t even the insertion of the catheter or the inflation of the saline balloon. On the upside- This method is all natural- a safe and mechanical way of opening the cervix, ripening it and assisting in dilation.
I was grateful that this was the method my dr recommended first because he knew how much going natural met to me. Now you may ask, why get induced period? No I am not high risk and haven’t been throughout my whole pregnancy, however being a week overdue, my Dr was worried that the baby would be getting too big to deliver vaginally if he waited yet another week. We said my chances of a c-section would double. He said I’m very tiny and narrowly posterior down there. Not to mention other risks involved with waiting around the 42, 43 week period-ie placenta breaking down, amniotic fluid decreasing, etc..
So those were the factors that lead me to where I am today.
Back to the story- They then had to monitor me and the baby for an hr to see if any contractions were happening and YES they were. Very painful indeed. I then had to do a bowel movement and was informed that it was perfectly safe to go ahead with. So I did, while pushing, the balloon popped out. Devastated! I almost cried! All that work and poof, I pushed it out? Matt called the nurse and she said that's ok, that it still worked because if it hadn’t dilated it wouldn’t be able to fall out- I don’t think she knew how hard I was pushing :)
Contractions of course then stopped and we went home and we went right to bed.
The reason I think this is all a blessing in disguise is because, This gives me another couple days to try to go into labour naturally. Due to the fact that they are so back up at the hospital, they couldn’t put me on the IV and may not get called in till Tuesday, weds the latest. Now by then, ill be 10 days overdue and have a good chance of c-section- with a huge baby but I need to let go and trust that whatever happens, will happen as its suppose to. All I care about is that the baby is healthy- Don’t care what I have to go through at this point. I guess my motherly love is kicking in. I love this little one so much and love how he is already teaching me important principles that I Lack in...like Patience ;)

 Right before heading to the hospital
Nicely swollen and bloated

5 comments:

  1. oh man, that does sound like hell my friend. he will be here soon and all this will be a memory! hang in there, before you know it he'll be in your arms. xo.

    ps -- you still look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I refused to go to the hospital before I had showered and done my hair and makeup. :) you look great and are one tough cookie! We are all rooting for you!!xxooxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! The first of many stories to be sure. Lovely blog by the way. And lots of small women have given birth to very large babies...try not to let the doctor scare you too much, sometimes that can push you to make a decision you later wish you'd made differently. I've learned one of the best questions to ask when faced with a big decision: "Is it ok if we wait for an hour?" If it's not a medical emergency you do have some time to think things through and make a decision that's right for you. :) Good luck, and hopefully you'll have that little person here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erica sorry to hear that , that def sounds like torture!!! keep strong and positive baby will be here at the right time :) and its true dont let the doc scare you lots and lots of petitt ppl have done it we can do it!!! :) best of luck and hope soon you will be holding that litle piece of heaven in your arms!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matt was a week late too. I like to think that he was in there weighing out his options. Analytical soul from the start. Thats so funny that you curled your hair because I was thinking about doing the same ahha too funny. Well we were thinking of you all day yesterday so I just we will just have to send better vibes next time. So excited for this little guys arrival. You DO still look amazing. Well done.

    ReplyDelete