life or something like it

Life or Something like it

Monday, September 26, 2011

Baby Marcus' debut!

It’s been three days since Marcus' birth, and I'm sitting here with my baby wrapped around my body watching him sleep. Yes I'm just as amazed that I can type while holding him. I honestly don't think I'll give any justice in explaining  the phenomenal experience I just had and am having regarding the process of bringing him into this world.
I'm going to try because I don't want to forget a single moment.

Before I start with my birthing story, I have to say that nothing prepared me for the amount of abundant love that a mother could automatically have for her baby! My heart is overfilled with joy every time I look at him, feel him, feed him, talk to him and hear his soft little coos...ok even his cry's, but I'm sure that joy will change quickly with that one :)

As you know, I was 10 days overdue and knew that I needed to have this baby soon. Contractions started Thursday Sep 22, but not enough to go to the hospital. Matt and I were going crazy waiting for the Hospital to call us. They said they would call Thursday morning and we heard nothing. We went out to Wal-Mart in the morning, picked up some groceries, and then washed all the floors in the house. I then had a nice cry because we STILL had no phone call. Matt suggested that we get out of the house and grab some dinner. We went to the barakat for some shawarmas and just as we were leaving we got the call.

We went straight to the hospital and there were NO nurses available so we were stuck in labour and delivery triage (emerg.)
My mom and mother-law came right away and that is when all the fun began. So I had pictured and discussed with my doc that I was going to get the epidural right away- before they had to break my water and induce.

However, since there was no room for me in the "Inn", I was stuck with good old natural contractions from 530pm to 1am- close to 7cm dilated...OUCH!! All four of us walked and walked throughout the hallways while I had my contractions to speed up the process. Matt would hold me up and hug me, while Clare would do a deep tissue massage on my lower back and my mom would gently rub my tummy. Sounds like a lot of people touching me during a time when woman usually don’t want to be touched but for me but it was perfect!

Finally they got us in and boy was I so happy! Epidural here I come! Now the only problem we had was that I was so far dilated and my contractions were 1min apart. Usually you get the Ep way earlier, so the Doc explained to me how important it was for me to stay bone-still for 20mins while they gave me the needle in my spine. At that point Matt and My mom requested not to be present. Matt thought he was going to pass out and my mom was on the verge of balling with seeing me in so much pain.

I was Happy that Clare was the one with me- boy did I need her. I had contraction after contraction and had to breathe deep and fast and not move an inch. I DID IT! I was so proud of myself but felt really bad for Clare's hand (which was paralyzed for a couple hrs-sorry clare!)

After that- the rest was Glorious! I actually got to enjoy this heavenly experience :)

When I was 10cm Dilated, they let me know it was time to push! The room was so quiet. I had my dear husband by my side, and my two moms hugging each other by the bed and the amazing nurse instructing me when to breath and push- a quick 45mins later (honestly felt like 10mins) and there was my son coming into this world. There were so many tears and joy in the room, I will never forget.

He had some fluid in his lungs so they had to clean them out first. Matt cut the cord and I got to hold him for the first time. I breastfed him right away and he completely latched on, and has ever since.

11 hrs of active labour- and worth every minute.

Bringing him home was so special for Matt and I and we have had so many wonderful family and friends over to share in the joy.

Have to give a big shout out to my birthing team- My Husband was exceptional. Not once did he stand in the corner . Thank you to mom and Clare- It was so special to have you both there and I wouldn’t of wanted it any other way. You two made that night a memorable time for me and got me through a lot. You two Rock- and will be present for the second babe- trust me!












 Marcus- You are AMAZING! Thank you for being the precious little one that you are. I feel as though I don’t deserve such a sweet gentle angel as you. You are so good and just love to snuggle- which I love. You have changed my world for the better and I can’t wait for the many days of Love, frustration when you cry, watching you develop and learn and experiencing our bond as it grows throughout the years. You’re my boy blue! You're my boy!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Erica! Congratulations! I can't wait to meet him! Your post brought back all the emotions of having Maelle, I had to go upstairs and watch her sleeping. :) we are very lucky and blessed to be mothers! Thanks for sharing your experience! Xxooxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Erica and Matt! Little babes are so precioius in every way! I'm glad that you finally got him out! I know how brutal the last few weeks can be, and especially going over due! All the best in the first few weeks!

    ReplyDelete